Saturday, August 20, 2011

in an attempt . . .

to try something new, I trekked north a ways. Landing in Anchorage, AK I found myself with a beautiful knife in hand (made for me by my brother) and a stick of wood. Learning how to handle said knife was a challenge; I lost control a couple of times and once lost a cheekbone. Mistakes happen.

Frustrated with the process, I took a break for a few days. Coming back to the stick of wood was easier the following week. I had taken time to reflect on a few things and realized that artists will make mistakes. However, they won't throw away the work of art but will rather take those mistakes and work with them.

I decided I wasn't going to aim for perfection but rather focus on using this opportunity to whittle, carve, gouge, and otherwise work this piece of wood. Pleased with my progress, I set aside the beginnings of this winsome, yet imaginary, character only to pick it up the following day.

What did I learn? to make the best of mistakes; to relax and enjoy the process.
The end result? my first wood spirit

(p.s. The cheekbone that I lost wasn't mine. It belonged to this spirit - it was his left cheekbone. He underwent re-constructive surgery LOL)

No comments: